The LRC has a variety of items of technology available to assist users in making the best of our facilities. These are listed below.
Please ask at the counter for more information.
- CCTV is used to enlarge text for people with a visual impairment or to change text/background colours for people with dyslexia.
- Variable Height Workstations are used to make PC use more comfortable for wheelchair users.
- A Hearing Induction Loop is installed at the counter and enquiry desk to aid users with a hearing impairment.
- Braille Transcription is for people who need to read information or course work in Braille.
- A Trackball Mouse is used to aid PC users who need help with fine motor skills.
- A Magnifying Sheet is for anyone who needs to read small print.
- Coloured Acetate sheets can be used for people with dyslexia. These act as a coloured overlay to enable them to see text more easily. Each person will have a different colour that works for them.
- Keyboard with large keys to aid PC users who need help with fine motor skills.
- Specialist software:
- ClaroRead is text-to-speech software which speaks back text as it is typed, allowing a user to check and proofread work quickly and easily. It works well with MS Word and email.
- Supernova Software which gives a reader magnifier to enable you to zoom in and out of your writing.
- Longer book loans can be given to people who have dyslexia or other statemented needs. For example, a 7 day loan will extended to 14 days.
Last modified: Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 11:42 AM